Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ok so that everyone of you know what's going on with Aaron and my life here's what's going on in a nut shell.
Ok so I arrive at the airport in plenty of time for my flight. I had bought the ticket in Decker for i assumed that if Sieba and I were to get money back for the tickets it would need to be in my married name. So the reservations were in Decker and my passport was in Goertzen (my maiden name). I thought this would be no issue for I had both my military ID and my marriage certificate with me. I was wrong. Alaska airlines would not let me board. they would let me board if we were able to changed the reservations to my maiden name but in order to do that they said we needed to call EVA airlines, which would be my next connecting flight across the ocean. We used the number they provided for us but EVA airlines was closed until the next day. Thus there was nothing left for me to do but to return home. After hours of struggling to call someone in Japan to tell Sieba that I missed my flight I finally got hold of a member in my church and they played the phone tag game with me until we reached Sieba. After talking to Sieba I realized that maybe we could contact EVA airlines at the Seattle airport, which is where the Alaska Airlines flight would have taken me.  We made the call but they couldn't do anything for us they were only allowed to do so much with their computers so we would need to still call the number that Alaska Airlines gave us tomorrow.

The next morning we called EVA airlines. EVA told us they couldn't change the name on the ticket or refund the money. We would need to contact Travelocity, with whom we had made the original reservations with. So we called Travelocity. After a long phone conversation with someone who barely spoke a lick of English we found out three things. One they couldn't change the name on the ticket. Two they wouldn't change the date of the ticket. and three they refused to refund our money.

So, our money was stolen from us. Whether or not we can get it back or not through other means still remains to be seen. Lol you'd think this would be the end of the story but no.
So here i am with no ticket, less money then I started out with, and a passport that still read Goertzen. Sieba called and said not to try and buy another ticket. He would get the military to pay for it this time. I said, "But Sieba my passport still says Goertzen won't the military still put the reservation under Decker and we be left with the same predicament?". Sieba believes that through his orders i'll be able to fly. I don't know if this is true but when my parents were in the military my mom had to have a passport in order to fly to Scotland to live with Dad. I told this to Sieba but he still thinks I can fly. He then told me not to get a new passport. Would the Military consider making the tickets in my maiden name?

You can understand my anxiety as I keep thinking that I'm not going to change my passport only to have history repeat its self. So I decided to go see how long it would take for me to change my passport. Going to the courthouse here in the tri-cities I found out that it would take two to three weeks for me to change my passport, however, they told me that I could get my passport "same day" changed if I drove to seattle. They provided me with a number in order to make an appointment.

I got home and called the number provided. It was here that I ran into more problems. The option menu mentioned a Military Dependent passport. Did I need to get that one or a regular one? and if I got that one instead of the regular one would I be able to go anywhere but where the military let me? Would they take the MD passport away from me when Sieba leaves the military? If I get a regular passport would I still end up buying a MD passport? Finally i was able to talk to a customer service personnel. I asked them if they did same day passport changes. Apparently not. However they would change the passport as quickly as I needed it if I had tickets for an out of states airline with me at the time. This was a problem. Sieba told me that the military was working to get tickets for me for the 18th. But as of yet i didn't have the tickets. For all I knew I could get the tickets the same day I was supposed to fly. What if I were to start the process of getting a new passport only to be passport-less when the tickets arrive? Would they take my passport from me while they made the transition? They said they'd do their best to get the passport to me at the time that I need to leave. But would they be able to finish it in time? Finally I explained to them that I didn't have the tickets and why. That my husband was in the military and they were getting the tickets yada yada etc. And I ended up telling them that the airlines wouldn't let me on my flight without it changed even with my marriage license. Unsurprisingly enough the Customer Service Representative was shocked that they wouldn't let me on my flight. So here I am left with around a week to get my passport changed and I'm not sure if I should even get it changed. I just don't know what to do. If I changed it would I get it in time? would they have time to change it if I had the tickets with me? what if they couldn't change it in time?

(sigh) so i don't know what to do. I wish desperately that I had changed my passport when I first got married. but that is no longer an option. Now my choice now will determine whether or not I'll be able to fly to Aaron in Japan sooner rather than later.
:) thanks for taking the time to listen to my strange little tale. I'm sure I'll have tons of these stories by the time my life is over.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried talking to a higher authority from alaska airlines? Someone who speaks english? Try the line.."Is that the best you can do?"
    Sorry you had such a terrible experience. It still sounds ridiculas to me. Why did alaska air even need to see your visa? You were flying in state with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh ... I am so sorry. What freaking idiots!!! I would do what you can to get your money back though ... there has to be a way. I'd throw the biggest stinking fit ever!!! Call and ask to talk to manager after manager until you can find someone who will help you ... or go to the news. They are really good at helping out by publicizing it.

    ReplyDelete